4.13.2010

Jennifer Tran


A few days ago I was doing the usual, checking out some blogs, weheartit.com etc. when I saw this gorgeous earring. I tracked it down to it's creater and sent her an email asking her if I could use the images and perhaps get a little interview. Thankfully she sent me back a really nice email and answered all of my questions! Check it out below!





1. What was the inspiration for the earring?
I was taking a jewelry class because I have a fascination with all things tiny. Although I do admire and love jewelry, I do not often wear it, so with every assignment to make a "ring" or "earring" I tried instead to make a sculptural object (that could happen to be worn for the sake of the assignment). So, I guess the inspiration for the earring was not to make an earring. Oh, that and feathers.

2. Do you wear the earring yourself (often)?
I think the only time I wore the earring was for the final critique and while making it. I'm too scared to break it!

3. Do you think you'll create more jewellery in the future?
I would love to create more jewelry in the future, yes. I have been thinking about setting up a little jewelry bench in my apartment but haven't yet had the time (or money!). I find jewelry to be very satisfying to make because yes, you can spend ages working on something, or if you want, you can whip something out in one night. Also, people are so easily drawn to jewelry-- because of it's size, tactility, and natural inclination to be a precious object. I like making things people feel they can "collect" or simply display and admire.

4. I noticed the diversity on your website and the fact that you studied furniture design; what captivates you most? Jewellery or furniture design?
I don't like how you're making me choose! Although I would probably say, right now, jewelry. After three years of designing and building furniture (for some reason all my furniture weighed a ton and I'm a pretty petite girl!) I'm ready to start working on a smaller scale with things people connect with easier (not to say I don't have a very intimate and intense relationship with my couch).

5. Do you have an etsy shop or somewhere else where people can purchase your work?
I don't have an etsy shop/online store... yet. Maybe sometime soon! I am currently designing stationary as well. Right now doing custom wedding stationary but looking to expand to non-custom paper goods in the near future.

6. What are your future plans?
My future is stationary... prop styling... home accessories... objects... Really, your guess is as good as mine!


I loved the answers, especially the one about the inspiration for the earring being not to create one.
Thanks for the interview Jennifer!
Check out more of Jennifer's amazing work on her website: http://www.jennifer-tran.com/


Love,
LF

8 comments:

Misery said...

I think this is the most unusual earring I've ever seen. If I had a pair of these, I'd gladly dye my hair into some dark colour again, all to make this piece of art more visible. Also, I know quite a bit about jewellery making and, I've got to admit - that's not the easiest piece to make!

Poisonn Amour said...

wow that is one cool ass piece of jewelry. shes really talented :)
thanks for sharing!!

Misery said...

haha, I thought everyone loooves Tavi :) I'm not really a devoted fan of hers so it's okay if you were going to write sth that's not good ;P

Styleseeking Zurich said...

great post!
that item is really a piece of art!

miji <3

Nathalie said...

Those earrings are absolutely amazing. So creative
*Nathalie

婷妏JereM_Wacker1217 said...

I do like ur article~!!!...................................................

monica said...

wow that is such a nice piece! so stunning

Tess Jessica said...

ah, great article!
i'd love to have the beautiful earring
gorgeous

Related Posts with Thumbnails